The New Hermitage was built in 1839-1852 to the design of architect Leo Klence for art collection stored in the Winter Palace. It was the first building in Russia constructed especially for an art museum. The inner layout, the system of light in the halls were meant to create favorable conditions for expositions of paintings and other objects of art. The inner decoration of halls is distinguished by luxury and high quality. The halls are decorated with frescos, bas-reliefs, and gilt. The entrance to the building is decorated with a portico with twelve Atlantes, carved out of gray granite monoliths.

Nowadays a part of the State Hermitage collections is exhibited here.

The New Hermitage was built in neo-Greek style, one of the branches of classicism.